The Roop is a dance/pop band which was formed in 2014 by singer Vaidotas Valiukevičius, drummer Robertas Baranauskas and guitarist Mantas Banišauskas. With different performance experiences the group began writing music that appealed to their tastes, their beliefs, and creating music and music videos that touches upon social topics.
10 Facts you probably did not know about the band!
1. The band’s name comes from an archaic English word “TO ROOP”, which means “TO CRY OUT”, “TO SHOUT OUT”, “MAKE A GREAT NOISE”.
2. So far, the band has released 2 albums and 1 extended play. Their debut album in 2015, called ‘To Whom It May Concern’ consisted of 10 songs. The second album is called ‘Ghosts’ and was released in 2017. In 2018, the band released their first EP called ‘Yes, I do’, which was also their debut try for the selection for Lithuanian Eurovision. The band became widely known after participating in the Lithuanian Eurovision National Selection in 2018 with the song “Yes, I Do”.
3. The Roop entered the Lithuanian Eurovision selection three times. The debut was in 2018, with ‘Yes, I do’, where the band finished 3rd, gaining second highest ranking from the public. Last year, The Roop participated for the second time and they won the competition with their great entry called ‘On Fire’, getting the ticket to represent their country in Eurovision. The YouTube video of ‘On Fire’ has over 30 million views and the number keeps growing.
4. In October, 2020 the band signed a contract with Warner Music Baltics.
5. In January, 2021 the band won the LRT Award of the Year! The Roop also received the Ambassador of the Year award for being the ones who spread the name of Lithuania around the World the most.
6. Due to the cancellation of Eurovision, the band was allowed to compete in the Lithuanian selection for the third time, going straight to the Finale. This time the band brought a little darker version than ‘On Fire’ called ‘Discoteque’. The Roop, for the second time in a row, won the Lithuanian selection, and it was obvious the televoters wanted them as the representatives since the band got 86% of the votes from the public in 2021.
7. The music video of Discoteque was inspired by 80s styles and movies like ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and ‘Twin Peaks’. The music video is directed by award-winning director Saulius Baradinskas, who has been named the best music video director in the Baltics.
8. The song is accompanied by an energetic dance which, according to the artist, “allows you to escape and let loose”. As for the moves of the dance, they were inspired by their childhood, and some were inspired by legendary Lithuanian basketball player Arvydas Sabonis.
9. The Band won 4 categories in Music Association of the Year Awards:
- Breakthrough of the Year 2020
- Pop Band of the Year 2020
- Song of the Year 2020 – ‘On Fire’
- Band of the Year 2020
10. The members of the band says this about their entry ‘Discoteque’:
The band’s leader Vaidotas:
“Discoteque talks about personal inner liberation. Rather often we say that we are free and that we live in a free world. But most of our restraints come from the inside. So, this song and movement aims liberate our minds, which contains too much self-criticism, fear of appearing different, reluctance to accept your body, even limiting your attractiveness.”
The band’s drummer Robertas:
“Part C or so-called bridge of the song is full of mouth sounds which carries us back in time thousands of years ago. It’s a return to the very beginning of us, where we can start all over again.”
The band’s guitarist Mantas:
“It’s not about showing yourself off. It’s more about being with yourself the way you are.”
What do you think? Will we see Lithuania in the final? Comment below.